• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

This is one of the GREATEST songs ever......BECAUSE

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
So I had this idea for a thread, and I figured it would go over better in this section. The premise is basically this, you post a song you love, and then, you explain what it is about that song, that speaks to you. Some people listen to music on a much deeper level then others. I am one of those people. I like to pick a song apart, listen closely to the specific instruments, and when the song is, an instrumental, I close my eyes, and try and paint the picture lyrics didn't. Or, just try and feel the soul, and heart going into the song. So, having said that, this is what I mean, and I'll start with an instrumental.
I have stated many times, I would argue to the very end, that there are no two guitar players, that where more in tune with each other, or more capable of playing harmony lead's, then Dicky Betts, and the late Duane Allman. The way the 2 cry out a melody together in this song, is inspiring tome, and then, countered by the retort of an Hammond B3 organ, played through Leslie cabinets, whaling out, all held together by 2 drummers, that seem to be doing the same thing with drums, that Dicky, and Duane are doing with guitars, and a catchy blues bass line, make this song, "one of the GREATEST tunes, I ever heard"

So that's what I'm shooting for. It wasn't meant to be a one time post, you can only pick your favorite song in, but it isn't made to dump 5 or 10 songs in a day, because you're jamming out thread either. I encourage as many as you like, but really, "Because it rocks dude, isn't what I'm hoping for.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones

I'll add a little class(ical) to this thread with Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, specifically the O Fortuna overture. It's almost 90 years old, and basically any rendition of it will give you the chills. Starting out with a bang, building up the anticipation and literally giving a classical beat drop, mixed in with various points of focus on the vocals, percussion and of course, that mind-blowing finale.

And all in a 3 minute song. Just brilliant.

What sucks is that this is just the opening act. The rest of the show kinda pales in comparison.

Mr. Daystar

I agree. Trans Siberian Orchestra does/did a version that was pretty cool. I wonder what Keith Emerson could have done with it?

It also was a great "Baba Booey" song entry on Stern, back before he was unlistenable, and showed his true colors.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
Here's another "classic" one that has withstood the test of time. A mix of Classical, Techno, Opera, Rock (and many other influences) - probably why there are remixes in every genre. I think musicals have a "snobby" reputation, and Phantom was one of the first that made it "cool" for the average person to go to these shows. And a big part of that was songs like this. My singing is so bad it breaks karaoke machines and makes ears bleed, but even I know that's some impressive vocals - especially at the finale.

When you break it down, it is brilliant simplicity - the main chorus is just a basic 5 note scale played up and down.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
The intro and the extended improvisation make this one of the greatest songs to me. When listening to it, I often restart the beginning a few times before letting the rest of the song play out. The studio version of it is great, but the numerous live versions give it life. My personal favorite is from Woodstock where he used it as a 13-minute intro to the Star Spangled Banner.

Studio

Woodstock:

I didn’t mean to take up all of your sweet time, I’ll give it right back one of these days.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

The intro and the extended improvisation make this one of the greatest songs to me. When listening to it, I often restart the beginning a few times before letting the rest of the song play out. The studio version of it is great, but the numerous live versions give it life. My personal favorite is from Woodstock where he used it as a 13-minute intro to the Star Spangled Banner.

Studio

Woodstock:
Jimi is usually one of the very few people on a "Greatest Guitar Player of all Time" list, that actually deserves to be there. The only guy I can think of that did more, innovatively then Jimi, is Les Paul.

Now, back before CD's, I would make best of tapes, and got pretty good using the counter, and my ear to edit. I have on SEVERAL occasions, done what you've just stated. Record the intro, pause, and rerecord it again, to make it last 3 minutes, instead of 1 minute. My first attempt, was the beginning of "Minstrel In The Gallery", by Tull. It worked well, so I kept doing it. A couple of buddies used to look at me like I needed to put a helmet on, so I didn't hurt myself.

This is my next offering. When I was in high school, I took a psychology class. One of the first things the teacher told us was, you are not the subject of that great rock & roll song. It wasn't written about you. It seems that way, because your brain is sub-consciously making it fit. I don't know if he's still alive, but I dearly would love to hobble into his classroom, barely walking with a cane, toss my x-rays and medical records on his desk, and shove his head into a pair of head phones, and play this song so loud, he changes his mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJdgkKS0nWQ

The reason this song means so much to me, is because it's how I feel. Honestly, it scares me sometimes. But the truth is, I was raised to believe that you get an express ticket to hell, so I'll keep trying, until the decision is made elsewhere, and my file is pulled. The other reason it's such a great song is that Warren Zevon has always had a way of being blunt, but in an almost funny, or quirky way. I doubt many others could pull of a song like this.

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
It's a 10 minutes song but it's divided into several, clearly identified chapter, all different from one another but because of the excellent songwriting all chapter still makie a song as a whole. Then there's the arrangements, perfect combination between the Metal part and the orchestral part, you never get the feeling that they've added orchestral arrangements on a Metal song, the orchestral arrangements are part of the song. And there's the vocals. Tarja Turunen at her best, letting us hear how a fully classical trained singer sounds.

But...
Just when you think it would be impossible to do better than that Floor Jansen comes and bring to the song her power and her versatility

Last edited:

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
The Joker and the Thief
Written by Bob Dylan, perfected by Jimi Hendrix, and covered by many diverse bands, All Along the Watchtower stands out as a truly great song.

Lyrically it paints a good scene. Musically, artists - particularly Hendrix - have used the middle portion to extend the experience.

The original

Jimi (with a Dave Mason assist)

Dave Mathews Band in Central Park (2003)
Coincidentally, I noticed Hendrix performed the Star Spangled Banner after Voodoo Child whereas DMB used the anthem as an intro. I am not really a DMB fan, but this version nails the song - especially the sax solo.

Two riders were approaching and the wind began to howl …

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

The song I'm going to post, is not only a "great song because", but it happens to be my favorite song. It's called "The Cinema Show", by Genesis. It's an old song, from the Peter Gabriel days. their 5th studio album.
The reason this song is so great, is I feel like the instrumental portions tell the story of young love. The song is mostly instrumental, and starts out very delicately, with 12 string guitars, at least 2, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks, I can't remember if Steve Hackett is playing a 6 or a 12. I have seen the song preformed live several times, I should know, especially since I love the way a 12 string sounds, it's, so full. As the lyrics start, a tale of young love, from the perspective of both boy and girl is clearly the theme. At this point, we now have keyboards, to fill in the sound, and a 6, and a 12 playing, Mike Rutherford is playing the 12, and bass with pedals, and the lower neck of his guitar, Hackett has a 6 string, and Banks is back to his keyboards. The song builds, and the story, as sung, comes to an end. At this point, the music finishes the story, with a long keyboard solo, backed by a 12 string, and drums. In the old Peter Gabriel days, he and Hackett would leave the stage, and Phil Collins, Banks, and Rutherford finish the song. In the post Gabriel days, Phil would go to his drum set, and play side by side with another very underrated drummer, Chester Thompson, who has played with Frank Zappa, and Weather Report, in which they have been known to toss their sticks back and forth without missing a beat, although, not on THIS live version, but future ones. It amazes me that Rutherford plays a 12 string acoustic, and both necks of a 12/4 electric, plus bass pedals.

The first version is off of "Selling England By the Pound". I have seen this preformed by a recreation band called "The Musical Box", also a song by the band
The second version is from their second live album, "Seconds Out". It's also the only song on the album, with Bill Bruford (Yes & King Crimson) playing drums, and the first time, Chester joined the fold for live tours. It's also the last album that Steve Hackett played on.

Mr. Daystar

WHY? Or as you were told in school, show your work.